PK Mixtape 2012
A mixtape of music from and related to 2012 - tracklist then commentary below:
1) Atari Video Game Logo - Suzanne Ciani (00:00 - 00:05)
2) Zenthial Arches - Team Doyobi (00:06 - 03:12)
3) Ye Ye - Daphni - JIAOLONG (03:12 - 09:17)
4) The Nightcaller - Flying Lotus (09:17 - 12:44)
5) Conversion Theory - Analogue Monsta (12:44 - 16:00)
6) Locked - Four Tet (16:00 - 24:18)
7) I Feel Love (12” Version) - Donna Summer (24:18 - 32:19)
8) Flutes - Hot Chip - In Our Heads (32:19 - 39:22)
9) Ricky’s Theme - Beastie Boys - Ill Communication (39:24 - 43:03)
10) Eclipse/Blue feat. Kazu Makino - Nosaj Thing (43:04 - 47:07)
11) Bamboo Music - David Sylvian & Ryuichi Sakamoto (47:07 - 52:13)
I felt like making another mixtape (just as I did last year), as … why the hell not. I’m no mixtape god so don’t expect anything masterful or comprehensive. I have to admit I wasn’t so into music this year, but thats not to say there was nothing worth attention. I hope, at least, there will be something anyone can appreciate.
1) Atari Video Game Logo - Suzanne Ciani
Taken from the “Lixiviation” album released by Finders Keepers Records, a compilation of examples and works by an electronic music pioneer.
2) Zenthial Arches - Team Doyobi
Taken from “Digital Music Volume 1” on Skam Records, a worthwhile addition to anyone who likes contemporary electronic music.
3) Ye Ye - Daphni - JIAOLONG
A solo effort from Daniel Victor Snaith, who also made the excellent “Swim” under the guise of Caribou.
4) The Nightcaller - Flying Lotus
Taken from “Until The Quiet Comes”, the album is generally mellower than his previous outings, yet still has plenty to offer.
5) Conversion Theory - Analogue Monsta
Any release from TOKiMONSTA is always something I look forward to: a collaborative album with Suzi Analogue available for the price of an email address, is 10 tracks of psychadelic electronica soul. More Here
6) Locked - Four Tet
Taken from a compilation album of 12” releases, all enjoyable
7) I Feel Love (12” Version) - Donna Summer
2012 saw the passing of Donna Summer from cancer. For me, she will always be important for this track she made with Giorgio Morodor, released in 1977. A true archetype of popular electronic music which has withstand time (and employed a production hack to get it’s new sound as the technology at the time could not perform the way it does), noticed by Bowie and Eno as the sound of the next 15 years, can be played pretty much anywhere. RIP
8) Flutes - Hot Chip
From the ‘In Our Heads’ album, which I would say was mixed. However, I think this track is one of their best ever, and probably my most played tracks this year.
9) Ricky’s Theme - Beastie Boys
2012 also claimed the life of Adam Yauch aka MCA of the Beastie Boys (again, from cancer) at the age of 47 :( It was very sad news. Everyone here should know all the Beastie Boys classics, but here I decided something different, something that stood out for me from their ‘Ill Communication” album, a jazzy instrumental. RIP
10) Eclipse/Blue feat. Kazu Makino - Nosaj Thing
When I heard Nosaj Thing was going to release new material this year, I couldn’t wait. His Drift album was fantastic. Sadly, it was only this track that was released, and I can’t wait to hear new material in 2013.
11) Bamboo Music - David Sylvian & Ryuichi Sakamoto
My favourite release this year was not a commercial one - it was a compilation from the Root Blog called ‘野生の野望’ featuring 80’s Japanese electronic pop music related to musicians of the band Yellow Magic Orchestra. A wide range of music which until now I had a lack of knowledge of. More about the compilation (and links to get it) can be found here.
I hope you enjoy it :)