I’ve been getting quite a few questions in my ask box about this, as the feature seems to have been taken away (possibly due to server issues - I don’t know).
I think it would be worth ignoring the method below; I have got in contact with the incredibly helpful Tumblr support, and this is what they have said:
If you want to create a link that encourages others to recommend you, use something like:
For example, to recommend http://david.tumblr.com in Fashion, you would use:
You can use that link as a post hyperlink or as a link in your Description. [The ‘About’ part of your Tumblr, in Customize - My words - PK]
To create a hyperlink in a post, type some text in the post, highlight the text, click the button that looks like links in a chain, type or paste a URL, and click Insert.
Or, to put a link in your Description, use something like:
<a href=”http://tumblr.com/directory/recommend/typeacategoryhere/typethefirstpartofablogURLhere”> Recommend Me For the Directory!</a>
This should do for the meantime, though its worth noting that this could be changing sometime soon …. ;)
1. Go to the directory.
2. At the top of the directory, you should see something like this:
The part you need to click on is circled above. It might say something different for you because the page loads a random category at every page load - but click on the link next to Directory / that contains a category.
3. Now, think hard! What is your blog about? What category best fits your blog? When you’ve decided, click on the best fitting category in the menu that popped up when you clicked on that link in step two.
4. After you’ve clicked on the category that best fits your blog, click on the “Get Listed” button (if you can’t find it, again refer to my picture above - it’s on the left).
5. You should now see a link on the bottom-left-hand side of your page. If you can’t find it, I circled where it should be in red.
6. Don’t click on it - just highlight the whole thing and copy it.
7. Go to customize and paste that link into the bottom of your description.
8. At the beginning of the link, type this:
And at the end of your link, type this:
So, finally, your “recommend me” button should look like this:
<a href="http://www.tumblr.com/directory/recommend/CATEGORY/TUMBLRNAME">Recommend Me</a>