PK Mixtape 2013
A mixtape I put together of electronic music from or related to 2013 - Soundcloud embedded below:
Firstly, I want to thank theycallmeelton for putting a gif design for this mixtape - THANK YOU!
This is by no means a comprehensive collection (go to your music blog of choice), and I certainly couldn’t include everything I wanted to. I stuck to a solid selection which has left some impression on me over the past year - here’s the tracklist:
01) Jump Without Height - vo§uru (00:00:00)
02) Oh Sheit It’s X - Thundercat (00:04:15)
03) Girl Like Me - Slava (00:08:02)
04) Cirrus - Bonobo (00:13:37)
05) More - Jackson and his Computer Band (00:19:17)
06) Open Eye Signal - Jon Hopkins (00:24:51)
07) The Kiss (Jesse Perez Remix) - Ellen Allien (00:32:39)
08) Maggie’s Last Party (Club Mix) - V.I.M. (00:39:35)
09) Love Is Lost (Hello Steve Reich Mix by James Murphy for the DFA) - David Bowie (00:45:07)
10) Ingenue - Atoms For Peace (00:55:25)
11) House On Fire - Outfit (00:59:51)
12) The Inheritors - Holden (01:02:52)
13) Milk - Moderat (01:07:44)
14) Space Oddity - Chris Hadfield (01:17:40)
Most of the list is self explanatory, but I will add some context to some of the tracks below.
- vo§uru is an independent musician / net artist from Moscow, Russia. You can follow his Tumblrs here and here, and his Soundcloud here.
- While everyone thought that the next best French album would be from a couple of guys in robot helmets, it turns out the seven year wait from Jackson and his Computer Band for the album ‘Glow’ was worth it. Incredibly high production, managing to include a huge range of styles, and satisfyingly distinctive.
- This year, this blog was honoured by one of my favourite music podcasts, The Beat Oracle. One of my favourite discoveries from here was the Jesse Perez remix of The Kiss, a great party track. You can get it at Beatport here.
- This year saw the passing of a British icon - Margaret Thatcher, someone who divided the nation she ran. An icon of her party throughout her lifetime, her government was in power during the rise of Rave culture, and intended to criminalize the activities through the Criminal Justice Bill (which became an Act in 1994). ‘Maggie’s Last Party’ was released in 1991, the same year she left office; featuring wickedly humorous sampling and re-arranging of her voice and her political colleagues on an Acid House track, this was a middle finger to the powers that be.
- From the passing of one British icon to the welcome return of another - David Bowie. A great year for the artist - he returned with a great album (The Next Day), a popular exhibition of his costumes throughout his career at the V&A in London, and he even had one of his songs performed in space (see below). The ‘Love Is Lost’ remix by the great James Murphy takes the original rock-orientated track and turns it into a dramatic electronic opus. He even directed the single’s version of the video on a ridiculously small budget yet it was still effective. The track is available as part of The Next Day EP.
- 'House On Fire' was one of the tracks featured in my ‘Net Artist Music Videos’ piece for Rhizome and later screening. Outfit, a band from Liverpool, UK, created my favourite electronic band pop album of the year, ‘Performance’.
- Track of the year from the album of the year for me is ‘The Inheritors’ by Holden. Crazy, chaotic, and believe it or not, pagan influenced (?!?!?!?!), yet still fits within electronic dance genre, and rich and interesting enough to discover something new in each listen.
- And lastly, to end the mix, Col. Chris Hadfield's cover of Bowie's 'Space Oddity'. Bowie described it as ' … possibly the most poignant version of the song ever created …', it's a touching, human version, especially considering how the time Hadfield spent in zero-gravity altered the tone of his singing voice. And of course, the video, recorded on the International Space Station … Earth, in the background - a very human antidote of perspective and achievement against the usual marketed attitude and shallow aspirations we see in music videos on rotation.
That’s it … a link to the Soundcloud page of the mix can be found here